Why should we clean our eyes?
In Ayurvedic and Yogic lifestyle, hygiene is considered a priority. Many cleansing techniques are written about in ancient scriptures and were part of a daily routine to bring harmony and balance to the body, mind and spirit. The scriptures on Dharma state that an individual strictly adhering to daily rituals does not become a victim of calamities such as poverty, illness, vices, psychological disorders etc.
You can get our Neem Wood Eye Wash Cup here!
The ancient sages and yogis devised many techniques to keep the body clean, one of which is regular washing of the eyes, or Netra Shuddhi. Dust, pollen, wind, toxins, low humidity, the effects of ultraviolet rays, excessive screen time, a stressful lifestyle, lack of sleep and/or poor diet are many environmental
stressors that can upset the balance of our eyes. Over time, this buildup can lead to loss of eyesight, cataracts, glaucoma, and other disorders. Eyes are regarded as highly important, but one of the most ignored organs in modern lifestyle.
Most of us spend majority of our day staring at bright screens. Using an eye wash cup for Netra Shuddhi is a natural and chemical-free method that removes burning and tiredness from eyes and gives a fresh feeling, leaving eyes refreshed and eyesight sharp. It rinses out dirt, irritants and other foreign pollutants from the eyes. It is an amazing remedy for overused eyes!
What are the benefits of Eye Wash/Netra Shuddhi?
- Thoroughly cleanses eyes
- Improves eyesight, tension and eye strain
- Used in treatment of myopia, hypermetropia, and presbyopia
- Increases blood supply to the eyes and the optic nerves
- Increases blood circulation which helps in diminution of dark circles
- Relieves head aches caused due to problems with the eyes
- Insomnia can also be eased
- Counteracts glaucoma, blepharitis, conjunctivitis (pink eye) and sties
- Improves reading, and refreshes eyes for longer hours on computer screens
- Having relaxed eyes reduces accidents while driving and gives better visibility
Most eye wash cups on the market are made of plastic, so we are excited to offer a cup made from such a healing and toxin-free substance. Our eye wash cups are carved from one of Ayurveda's favorite medicinal plants.
What are the benefits of Neem Wood?
- Neem is not only heat resistant like most wood, but is also cooling and healing in its natural properties.
- Neem is also antimicrobial, anti-germicidal, antibacterial, and antifungal
- Neem wood contains natural pesticidal properties that inhibit the growth of bacteria and fungi
- Neem bark is known to possess antiseptic and astringent properties that help heal wounds
- Neem wood is nontoxic whereas plastic is known to be cancer-causing
- Neem wood is very durable, resistant to wear and tear, and does not splinter easily
- Even if some tiny particles of neem wood or extracts are ingested, they have the ability to destroy parasites present in the body and fend off illnesses.
- The Neem tree is known to have more than 130 different biologically active compounds such as nimbis and nimandial which help heal the body and promote healthy living.
- Neem wood is thus an ideal choice for making utensils, cups and serve-ware that come into direct contact with our body and sense organs.
Eye washing/Netra Shuddhi should be done every morning upon waking up, with clean, distilled, fluoride-free water. With this simple, time-tested and fast technique, you will feel cool, awake, and relaxed instantly.
What are the steps for Netra Shuddhi?
- Fill neem cup with room temperature water (flouride free) and hold in your hand.
- Then lower your head and ensure the cup fits securely in your eye socket area.
- Open your eyes and feel the water touching your eyes.
- Slowly lift head with eyecup securely attached and position face looking up.
- Continue to balance the eye cup with your hand.
- Maintain this position for at least 30 seconds, opening and closing eyes with enough intervals to allow the water to thoroughly cleanse your eyes.
- Once you are satisfied, lower your head, release, relax and gently pat dry.
- Repeat on the other eye.
- Make sure to fill up the cup with FRESH water for each eye separately.
As you can see, there is a lot that can get in the way of your eyes feeling fresh, vibrant and nourished! That’s why Ayurveda emphasizes the importance of cleansing our eyes daily to replenish, strengthen and heal them throughout your life. Taking care of our sense organs daily is the yogic way!